Last Night on the Hill

Friday, March 13, 2015


Tonight is officially our last night in our first home.

We experienced so many firsts in this place.  Our first meal cooked together as a married couple. (Lumpia!) Our first pet.  Our first big purchase.  Our first dinner party.


I'll never forget our first night in this place.  We had just gotten back from a whirlwind month of wedding prep/ wedding/ honeymoon/ friend's wedding.  We were exhausted and giddy.  We spent hours opening up gifts that had accumulated on our doorstep while we were gone, and excitedly figuring out where each item would go.  Though these were small decisions, they seemed to hold deep significance, as they were some of the first decisions we were making together.


We didn't have a bed yet so we pulled together some old cushions and mattresses and camped out on the floor.  Our room was empty but our hearts were full.  That's kind of how I'm feeling tonight, too, as I look at our bare walls and nearly-empty rooms.


This place has been so much more than a house for us.  It's been a refuge for countless people in need of respite (ourselves included.)  It's been a setting for gatherings through which we discovered our shared passion for hospitality.  It's been a safe place for tears to be shed.  It's held countless bible studies and game nights.  It's held more people than we would ever admit to any fire department.  It's taught me what a safe and loving home can look like.


I'm excited for what's next.  There are really, really beautiful things on the horizon and I know that our next place will come to feel like home in the same way this place has.  In the morning I will choose to brim with anticipation for all the great things that are to come, but for tonight I'm content to steep in the memories we have made here and mourn for a small piece of my heart that we are leaving here on the hill.


3 comments

  1. Good luck with your new adventure! Can't wait to see how the new place looks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought tears to my eyes. I know this feeling. Leaving our little Lynchburg apartment was one of the most emotional experiences of our marriage. Granted, I'm extra sentimental, but still. It really is so wistful and so sad, saying goodbye. So excited for your future plans and for all of the ways that this move will grow your marriage and your love for one another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is sentimental to leave that first home! I wish you the best on your next adventure!

    ReplyDelete