Keeping the Dream Alive

Tuesday, March 10, 2015



This past weekend I had the joy of having brunch with three lovely ladies that I've gotten to know through blogging.  Daisy, Jhen, and I met up with Katie at her house for a few hours to eat, laugh, and get to know each other better.  As we were upstairs in Katie's (totally dreamy!) room she asked each of us about our dreams... and I totally froze.  Her question made me realize how long it had been since I had actually cultivated my dreams.  Far, far too long.

It seems like I have spent the past few months so focused on the immediate. The here. The now. The due-in-30-minutes.  The reading.  The writing.  The rushing. The end-of-the-day-collapsing.

Sometimes I feel like it takes every ounce of focus and motivation I have just to make it to the end of the day.  I have a hard time dreaming about the weekend, much less about the next five years.  And when Katie asked that question I realized; sure, I have been good lately at setting goals... learn Spanish, get good grades, excel in my practicum, graduate.  But dreams?  I haven't allowed myself to dream in quite some time.  I haven't let myself imagine an ideal future.  I haven't let my mind wander to a dream that didn't require concrete, measurable, attainable steps.  And that's the thing about dreams...  they provide this painting of the type of life you want to create.  Sometimes dreams turn into goals, but sometimes they don't and that's okay.

It's important to dream for the sake of dreaming.  It's important to be present and enjoy what's now, yes, but it's also important to imagine what could be.  As I listened to these wonderful women describe their dreams and aspirations I felt inspired in a way that I haven't felt in quite some time.  I want to dream big dreams and I don't want to live a life free of imagining the impossible.  

What are some of the things you've been dreaming about lately?

No comments

Post a Comment