Beat by the Heat + a Green Smoothie

Thursday, September 18, 2014


It seems that all I can talk about lately is this heat wave we've been experiencing for the past week.  The neighborhood we live in is pretty old (well, old by California standards) so most of the houses, including ours, don't have air conditioning.  It's crazy how the extreme heat can permeate every piece of your life.  The house is hot so I don't want to get out of bed.  It's scorching outside so I don't want to walk to work.  Even the dog can't find the energy to do much besides lay under the dining room table (which, I found out after joining him down there, happens to be the coolest spot in the house.  Smart dog.)  I'm well aware that other areas of the country get way hotter/ more humid than this but this is LA and we are wusses when it comes to extreme weather of any kind.  Besides, those other areas have a/c, yes?



Cooking has been a completely elusive activity this week.  I don't even want to go near the stove and I'm scared to see on our bank statement how much money we've spent eating out just this week alone.  Pretty much the only thing I can muster up the energy to make is this green smoothie.  It's cold and refreshing and provides enough energy to sustain me on the walk to my blessed, chilly office.  I know that everyone and their mother has a green smoothie recipe on the internet these days and this one is probably quite similar to those save for one thing; I add fiber.  Most people think of fiber supplements as a necessity solely for the elderly but the truth is that not getting enough fiber in your 20's is a big nutritional mistake.  I swear my quality of life has increased immensely since adding more fiber to my diet.  I won't go into details but... just trust me on this one.


Thankfully today is a bit cooler and I'm grateful not only for myself but also for all the people in this city who work as manual laborers.  I'm not sure how they do it.



Green Smoothie
makes 2 servings

Ingredients

  • 1 medium banana
  • 2 Cups washed, chopped kale
  • 1/3 Cup frozen pineapple
  • A few slices frozen peach
  • 1/4 Cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 Cup plain unsweetened almond milk
  • 2 tsp Fiber Powder
  • 2 Tbsp flax seeds
  • handful crushed ice


Instructions

Put all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.  Add more almond milk if desired.  Serve immediately.

No comments

Post a Comment