A {Very Dramatic} Return Post

Saturday, August 9, 2014


 Well, hello there!  It's hard to believe it's been three whole months since I've posted here.  The hiatus wasn't out of forgetfulness or busy-ness; the truth is that I really needed a break from the "blogging world."

This blog started out as a place to document our lives to share with our friends and family; our vacation photos, weekend recaps, and random ramblings.  It soon evolved into a more creative outlet for me; a place to experiment with fun recipes, to share photos of the city that I love, and to talk about struggles with anxiety and depression.  I began to come into contact with other bloggers and learned that there is a whole "world" to blogging that I never knew existed.  There is a whole culture to blogging that I began to feel the need to assimilate into.  People other than my family & close friends started visiting this blog and it felt good.  It felt validating.  Pageviews and numbers started to get more important in my mind and I started offering swaps, tweeting, and commenting on other blogs out of a sense of obligation.  I had heard a lot about the "community" and "genuine friendships" that had been formed through blogging and, to be honest, I craved that.

I don't want to make it sound like these are bad things.  I think it's really incredible that some people can make money through blogging, and I do believe that real, genuine friendships can form over the internet.  I've definitely "met" some wonderful, inspiring women through blogging and for that I am grateful.  But I also started to realize that what I was needing was real, tangible human connection, and an outlet that didn't include sitting at my laptop.  So a break was in order.  I made more coffee dates, took more dance classes, and had more real-life adventures.  And it was good.

I know there's a good chance you are rolling your eyes at this lame revelation and that you honest-to-God could not care less.  Which is fine- I don't blame you!  I'm really not trying to make this seem all melodramatic (though that's how it's coming off...) To be honest I just miss having this blog as a creative outlet and for now that is simply what it will be.  I'm not going to get caught up in trying to write what I feel like I'm supposed to be writing or what will supposedly attract more readers.  I'm not going to stress out over keeping a strict posting schedule or promoting myself.  There are far greater things out there to fret over!

2 comments

  1. Good for you! It's good to take a step back at times and realize the blogging purpose for you. (Selfishly though, I am glad you are back!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The exact same thing happened to me - I took a month off - and then I decided I wasn't going to blog anymore for the swaps and the readers and the numbers. Now I blog for me, when I want, about what I want and how I want. But if YOU want, I can send you an updated button for my blog because I changed my name while you were out!

    ReplyDelete