Happy, Happy, Happy!

Tuesday, May 13, 2014


This morning I woke up feeling like it was my birthday because, well, it is!  I have always had sort of a love/hate relationship with my birthday.  I love the idea of birthdays; of celebrating someone for a whole day simply because they are alive.  But, I don't know, there's all this pressure to feel special and wise and new.  What if you don't feel special on your birthday?  What if you have to work and take care of the kids and you're exhausted or you're sick or you have a migraine?  What if it just feels like another humdrum day?  Is it a wasted opportunity to feel amazing that only comes around once a year?

My dad loves to tell the story of my 1st birthday party (pictured above.)  He said that I spent the entire day running around with balloons in my mouth yelling "happy, happy, happy!"  I didn't know it was a special day, but I did know that there was family, there were balloons, and there was cake.  What more could a one-year-old want?! So today that is my goal.  Today I have family, balloons, and cake.  I'm not pressuring myself to feel special or older or wiser; I'm simply going to take this day as an opportunity to be happy, happy happy!

3 comments

  1. happy happy birthday! i hope you have a great day. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh you are so cute!! HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY Birthday sweet friend:) Hope it is a wonderful day filled with so much love and laughter!! You are amazing! xoxo Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry I'm late on this -happy belated birthday friend!! Hope it was a good one!

    ReplyDelete