Brave Pants

Wednesday, April 16, 2014


If you've been reading this blog for awhile, well, for one thing, you're a saint. But aside from that you may remember a post I wrote awhile ago about the pants that made me cry. If you haven't the gist is this: I bought a pair of parachute pants in India that I thought were the coolest things ever. Then I wore them all the time. Then a friend laughed in my face and told me I looked like Mr. T. Then I cried because my self esteem is was that low.


Fast forward to a couple weeks before my first day of grad school.  I decided I needed a new outfit for the first day of classes because, really, it doesn't actually count as the start of a new chapter in your life if you don't have a new outfit. So I'm perusing H&M and my eyes land on these pants. So soft. So comfy. So exactly like the pants that made my self confidence melt into a pathetic puddle on a dorm room floor just a few years prior. Plus they were leopard print which I vowed to never wear again after a 7th grade photo day catastrophe. 


But there wouldn't be any harm in just trying them on... right? Bad idea. It was love at first sight. They felt like pajamas and sat on my waist in just the right position so that I could devour two Chipotle burritos and/ or be five months pregnant and no one would know.


But the voice of fear was telling me not to. "You'll get laughed at" it said. "None of the other kids grad students will take you seriously." I almost listened. 


But then I realized... If I'm going to be a therapist then these are the exact voices I'm going to be helping people to say no to.  The voices that whisper lies about your worth.  The voices that say "what people think about you is far more important than what you think about yourself and than what God thinks about you."  So I made a conscious decision to be brave, shut those voices out, and buy the pants.  I wore them with confidence on my first day, and during my last class I had a girl from Singapore tell me, "I love your pants! They are all the rage in East Asia right now."  Point, set, match.


Top & Pants: H&M//Necklace: Stella & Dot//Sunglasses: Ruche ( here!)  Shoes: Marshalls

Shop this look:


22 comments

  1. i love them!!! :) you are right though - it is too easy to listen to those voices, but we need to focus on the truth God tells us about who we are in Him! :) thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! Though I can't take credit since it was a gift from a very sweet friend :)

      Delete
  3. :) I love your courage, and your choice to wear clothes that you loved whether other people loved them or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! That's something I've come to admire about YOU after reading your blog!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE YOUR PANTS! I've been seeing those in stores and have been trying to convince myself that they would be appropriate to wear to work... but I just don't know. What do you think? Could I pass them off as business casual?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm... depends on how strict your work is. Perhaps if they were floor length and in a stiffer fabric? Or black and white leopard print?

      Delete
  5. These look amazing on you!! Seriously. I probably couldn't pull them off, because I'm super duper pear shaped. Really though, you're making me want to get a pair with that description! Any stylish and flattering pants that feel like you're wearing pj's is a win. Wear them proudly, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I think you could totally pull them off!!

      Delete
  6. I'm a new follower because someone I follow on bloglovin liked this post! The pants are amazing. So are you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks so much for stopping by Jessica! Looking forward to getting to know you :)

      Delete
  7. Love those pants! You look GREAT! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That means a lot coming from a fashion maven like you!!

      Delete
  8. I love this look on you! I'm so proud of you for not listening to the voices and just wearing them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha! i love this!! and those pants! you go, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad I found your blog....I just love it!
    And so proud of you for finding something you LOVE wearing and wearing it! :)
    I saw this pin on pinterest that said
    "I like people who have a sense of individuality.
    I love expression and anything awkward and imperfect,
    because that's natural, and that's real."
    So true. Our world tries to create a mold....but that's just NOT how God made us.
    Hope your week is going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Amy! And that is a FANTASTIC quote!! Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  11. So, I laughed the entire way through this post! (Thanks for that!) and I happen to like your brave pants and think you can totally rock them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ashley! That's so sweet of you :)

      Delete