Basil Lime Margarita

Tuesday, April 29, 2014


Summer is almost upon us and that means one thing is certain in the Jaynes household: margaritas.  We love us a good margarita over here.  We used to use pre-made mix but I always found it to be a bit too sweet and syrupy for my taste.  One day last Summer I set out to make my own margarita from scratch and I've never looked back!  So when Samantha and Cristina announced that this month's Cooks in the Kitchen ingredient was limes I knew immediately I wanted to make some sort of variation of a margarita.


It's sort of a running joke among my in-laws that I love to add herbs to my cocktails (like this rosemary lime spritzer.)  Basil is one of my favorites and it adds such a refreshing twist to a classic margarita.  The touch of sugar mixed with the rim salt turns up the sweetness just a notch.  This is definitely my new favorite cocktail and is one I can totally see myself sipping with a nice al fresco dinner on the porch.  Mmmmm... is it Summer yet?


Basil Lime Margarita
Makes 1

Ingredients
  • Juice from 1 lime (about 1.5 Tbsp)
  • 1/3 Cup water
  • 4 basil leaves, plus 1 more for garnish
  • 1.5 oz good quality tequila (I prefer gold, but silver is fine too)
  • 1 Tbsp agave syrup
  • 1 tsp coarse sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
  • Ice
Instructions
  1. Combine salt and sugar and spread out on a plate.  Wet the rim of your glass with a slice of lime and dip into the salt & sugar mixture.  Set glass aside.
  2. Muddle basil in lime juice and water.  Strain into salted glass.  Add tequila and agave syrup and stir until syrup is dissolved.  Add ice and garnish with a basil leaf and lime slice.


5 comments

  1. Yum! This sounds so refreshing! Thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! I prefer herbs in my cocktails, too! Rosemary, mint, and basil are my favs in cocktails. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always jealous of people who make really yummy drinks! I think I have it on my running to do list in my head. I've been dreaming up something amazing with tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love a good margarita, and this one sounds so refreshing! i've never thought to mix sugar and salt to add around the rim, but i think that would be the perfect combo. thanks for this great recipe. adding to my pinterest. :-)

    ReplyDelete