Tropical Chocolate Bon Bons

Monday, March 31, 2014


I am so excited to be linking up today (albeit a few days late) with Cooks in the Kitchen!  Samantha and Cristina have put together this wonderful project and I had such a blast finding a recipe to share with all of you using this month's featured ingredient: semi-sweet chocolate!


I have an aunt that lives in Hawaii and whenever she visits she always brings us a box of Hawaiian Host Chocolate Covered Macadamia Nuts.  They are, hands down, my favorite candy so when trying to figure out what to make with this semi-sweet chocolate I knew I wanted to incorporate some macadamia nuts in there.


While searching for some semi-healthy dessert options I came across this recipe from Nom Nom Paleo.  I made a few minor alterations and the result is the most heavenly tropical bon-bon substitute I've ever tasted.  Plus it's even kinda-sorta healthy so I don't feel the least bit bad about stuffing my face full of them.


Making the banana "ice cream" is super simple but to be honest it's a bit time intensive for me.  I'm including the original method here but in my opinion these are just as delicious of you simply use banana slices instead of frozen puree.

 

Tropical Chocolate Bon Bons
Makes approx. 15bon bons
Adapted from Nomnom Paleo

Ingredients
  • 2 medium ripe bananas, cut into chunks and frozen
  • 1 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate baking bar
  • 2 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/4 Cup unsalted macadamia nuts, finely chopped
  • 3 Tbsp shredded coconut (optional)
Instructions
  1. Blend frozen banana chunks in a blender until the become a smooth puree.  Scrape into a bowl and freeze for one hour.
  2. Melt the baking chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring each time.  Once chocolate is completely melted stir in coconut oil.
  3. Using a small cookie scoop or melon baller, scoop out the frozen banana puree and use your fingers to form it into a small ball, if necessary.  Dip in the chocolate/ coconut oil mixture and set on a sheet of parchment paper.  Immediately sprinkle with macadamia nuts and shredded coconut.  Allow to freeze for 30 more minutes before eating.

9 comments

  1. This is making my mouth water. I love Nom Nom Paleo! She's one of my favorite food bloggers. I'll have to try these out this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sweet tooth is aching for this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do yummy! I love that they have banana to make them a bit healthy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Every little bit counts, right? :)

      Delete
  4. These look SOOO amazing!!! Thanks for sharing girl. SO FUN to get to meet up on Monday!! Hope your time with your grandparents was awesome! love Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so great meeting with you too! I hope you guys have a great time in Seattle <3

      Delete
  5. These look so amazing! And I love how healthy they are too!

    ReplyDelete