Four Years

Wednesday, March 12, 2014


Four years ago today Ty and I went on our first date and to commemorate this day I'd like to tell the story of how it all started.  It's not a particularly funny or serendipitous story but it's ours and ergo it's my favorite :)


On the first day of Spring semester of my Junior year I was hobbling around on crutches after falling down a set of stairs in a onesie (that's a story for another time.)  I had registered for my classes late and therefore was waitlisted for an upper-division Religion class that I HAD to take for my major.  I was planning on getting to class early to plead with the professor but, thanks to the crutches, I fumbled in ten minutes late.  The class was seated in a giant circle and it appeared that every seat was occupied; wait, no, all but one.  The professor gestured to a seat on the opposite side of the room and I slowly made my way over and sat down, completely red-faced and mortified (crutches and a tiny, quiet classroom aren't the best mix.)


I scanned the room looking for allies as one does on the first day of class and spotted a few of my fellow Religion majors sprinkled throughout the room.  When my eyes landed on the seat next to me, though, I became incensed.  I was sitting next to Tyler Jaynes, the star volleyball player, who I was just certain was the biggest d-bag in the whole world.  I didn't know him, of course, but as the #3 ranked middle blocker in the nation how could he be anything other than an egotistical maniac?  Furthermore, he certainly wasn't a Religion major and he was taking the spot of one who reeeeally needed to get into this class.  I decided immediately not to talk to him, but was totally taken aback when he started happily chattering on to me about the time that he was on crutches and how he was sorry I had to walk around campus like that.  I was perplexed; this is not how world-class athletes were supposed to talk to mere plebeians like myself.  But class was over and I had bigger problems to figure out.

As the weeks went on I became more and more impressed with Tyler.  He would make silly comments in class that only the two of us seemed to find funny.  His faith was far deeper than I'd imagined.  He was smart in a way that I hadn't expected.  In February we both signed up to be a part of a mini-musical competition that Pepperdine puts on every year so we spent every night from 10-12 in rehearsal together.  I've been a performer most of my life so I knew I was starting to have a crush on him when I was willingly placing myself in the back row where he and the rest of the volleyball players were.  He knew he was starting to like me when he would willingly stay up til 1 AM talking with me, despite having volleyball practice at 5:30 AM.



One night while we were catching up on an episode of LOST (which is one of the most romantic shows ever, in my opinion) he finally made the move and held my hand.  He was shaking.  After the episode he asked if he could take me out that Friday for dinner and a movie.  I happily agreed.

The next night Ty was late to dance rehearsal, which was so unlike him.  I kept worriedly glancing at the door and when he came in an hour late I could tell he was distraught.  After practice, as he was driving me back to my dorm, he told me that he'd just found out that a dear friend of his had passed away unexpectedly.  We sat in his car for about an hour as he cried and I held him.  I was blown away but his vulnerability, and surprised at how much my own heart hurt for his loss.

The next day was supposed to be our dinner-and-a-movie date but, due to the circumstances, we opted for a post-rehearsal Denny's date instead.  We sat in the dingily-lit diner and talked; mostly about his friend and the sweet memories Ty had of them growing up together.  We sat there in our sweaty workout clothes and picked at our pancakes for a couple of hours.  It was simple, it was unpolished and, despite what I'd always thought first dates were supposed to be like, it was perfect.

So tonight we will go to Denny's just like we've done every year on March 12th.  It's not the fanciest way to celebrate an anniversary, but it may very well be my favorite tradition that we have.

10 comments

  1. The fact that you go there every year is so precious. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chelsea! I certainly never turn down an opportunity to have french toast for dinner...

      Delete
  2. haha!! Oh, it's too funny that at first glance you had already written him off the list...except, you hadn't. :) Love this story of a first meeting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? I apparently don't have the best judgement when it comes to first impressions. I've (hopefully) come a long way in not judging a book by its cover since then!

      Delete
  3. I love hearing "how we met" stories, and yours is beautiful! I also love that you go to Denny's every year. Couple traditions are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, I agree! Even the silly ones :)

      Delete
  4. I love that tradition! It's such a special and sweet date for you guys to celebrate. I loved reading this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading! It's fun to share :)

      Delete