Average is Beautiful

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Have you guys met Lammily?


Lammily is a healthy, beautiful doll with the proportions of an average 19-year old girl.  She has bendable elbows and knees so that she can run and play sports and has joints in her ankles so that she can wear flats as well as high heels.  She wears minimal makeup, and, in a culture where young girls are inundated with playthings that look like this and this, she is a breath of fresh air.



Lammily is the genius creation of Nikolay Lamm who won over the hearts of healthy-body-image advocates everywhere last year when he showed what Barbie would look like as an average girl.  After getting tons of questions asking where one could buy a doll that looked like a real human being and coming up short he decided to create one himself. 



I wasn't really into Barbies as a kid.  (My parents stopped buying them for me when they discovered my main use for them was pulling off their limbs and using them to build rubber band guns).  I'm thankful, too, because the statistics are astounding. Four out of five 10-year-olds say that they're afraid of being fat. 42% of girls in first through third grade wish they were thinner. And half of girls aged 9 or 10 claim that they feel better about themselves when they're dieting. (source)  While this is certainly due to a variety of cultural and environmental factors, studies also show that after playing with a thin doll young girls ate significantly less at their next meal than girls who played with a normal sized doll.


I don't have kids yet, but when I do I know I will be reluctant to allow them to play with a doll that has been used as a sex-object for men.  I want my kids to know that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes; (including thin, "average," and above-average.)  I want them to value health above aesthetic.  I want them to avoid the body image disorders that plagued me for years.  Heck, I want these things for me and for you as well! I know our culture has a long, long way to go when it comes to valuing women (and men) of all shapes and sizesHowever I'm thankful for the steps that people like Lamm are taking, and I'm hopeful that by the time I do have school-aged kids dolls like Lammily will be the ones filling the shelves.

Interested in getting a Lammily for yourself? Head over to Nikolay's crowd-funding page to get in on the first line of production.  Hurry- spots are going fast!


All images courtesy of Time

8 comments

  1. This is awesome - I love Lammily. Even though, just like you, I wasn't really into dolls when I was younger. I always wanted to play with the boys. But, it's so sad how young the girls are when they start worrying about "being fat." It's great to see campaigns like this try to fight back on what the media has to say about beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's crazy! When I was nine years old my weight never even crossed my mind. It breaks my heart to think about little girls (and hey, even older girls) worrying so much about that.

      Delete
  2. this is so great! if i have a daughter i am definitely getting her play toys like this if she's into dolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I hope dolls like this help to set a new standard in the industry.

      Delete
  3. This is awesome! I never liked Barbies (too much of a tomboy) and don't care to have Raeca playing with them, I'm pumped to find out there is an option like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed- I'm hoping it's a trend that spreads into all areas of the toy industry!

      Delete
  4. hi, i'm danica! nice to meet you, just found your blog and i really enjoy it! it's super cute (as are you) and i love your content. i saw this doll advertised recently as well...amazing! i want to see these dolls on the shelves now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danica, nice to meet you too! Thanks so much for stopping by and for your sweet comment- it totally made my day :) I agree; I hope by next year we will see these dolls in mainstream toy stores!

      Delete