Skillet Rosemary Lemon Chicken

Thursday, February 6, 2014


I stumbled upon a dish similar to this while we were doing our clean eating cleanse and decided to make it on a drab Wednesday night.  I wasn't expecting much; there are very few ingredients, they're all sorta healthy (read: bland), and really- who honestly likes chicken when it's not smothered in barbecue sauce?


I'm here to say I was wrong. (Hear that, husband?)  This was fantastic.  So fantastic, in fact, that I made it again after our cleanse was over.  We even had a bottle of BBQ sauce sitting in our pantry begging to be slathered on a chicken breast, but we opted for this instead. I don't know if it's how the lemon kind of caramelizes on the bottom of the skillet or the way the rosemary lightly infuses everything or the fact that it's just so darn pretty but something about this dish has me hooked.  Sorry, Stubbs.  We are never ever getting back together (not til Summer, at least.)

Skillet Rosemary Lemon Chicken
Serves 3
Adapted from Food Network

Ingredients

  • 3 Sprigs + 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary
  • I large clove garlic
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 lemons
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 fresh boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 small (1-2 lb) bag fingerling potatoes

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 450.
  2. Mince 1 Tbsp of rosemary with the clove of garlic and the salt.  Continue mincing & mashing together until they form a paste.  Place in a large bowl with the olive oil & juice from 1 lemon. Coat the chicken breasts with the mixture and allow to marinate in the bowl for 10 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, halve or quarter the potatoes into bite sized pieces and boil until softened but not fully cooked; about 8 minutes.
  4. Heat a cast iron skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat.  Add the chicken breasts and brown each side for about two minutes.
  5. Turn off the burner and add the potatoes to the pan.  Squeeze the juice from the second lemon over the chicken & potatoes and add the lemon rinds and the rosemary sprigs to the pan.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way through & the juices run clear.

8 comments

  1. This sounds delicious, I"ll definitely have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked that something so healthy could be so tasty! Haha

      Delete
  2. holy crap this looks delicious. this is feeding my renewed interest in cooking even more! and i love that he ingredient list is so simple. good post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, simple is my jam. My neighbors actually have a lemon tree and a rosemary bush that they let me mooch off of so I don't even have to get those things at the market.

      Delete
  3. This looks so good! I do a rosemary roasted chicken similar to this and it's always crazy amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! It's a great feeling to find a signature weeknight meal that doesn't require a ton of preparation :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so delicious! I love those flavors with chicken but have never tried it in a skillet before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cast iron skillet has quickly become my favorite cooking tool. It adds so much flavor.. plus it makes me feel like I am in Little House on the Prairie!

      Delete