Hollister & High School Flashbacks

Friday, February 28, 2014

 photo 96271C4D-D884-41E6-8B9F-EB3909EAADEE_zps7udukl2t.jpg

The other day I was cleaning out an old box of crap trinkets and I came across a Hollister gift card from probably... mmm... 8 years ago.  I was about to throw it away but Ty insisted on calling to find out how much was left on it. I'm glad he did because it had 60 bucks on it!  I ventured in and almost passed out from the smell of my teenagehood.  I was also instantly overcome with two realizations:

1.

2. Hold up. I'm TOO BIG to even fit into anything here.

I felt horrible about myself in the way that you feel when a boy you don't even really like breaks up with you. Hollister wouldn't let me wear their clothes because I was too big for most of them, but I wanted to scream "Well fine! I didn't want to wear your ugly see-through fluorescent clothes anyway!"

 photo A4A0CEE8-39E2-4336-9B77-0568EF3E9A3B_zpso68tmui5.jpg

But I still had that gift card.  I walked in and out of the store about sixty times and even perused the men's section trying to find something I liked.  I finally found this blouse in a dark corner and was pleasantly surprised when I tried it on.  I also found a pair of jeans (at the VERY BOTTOM of the pile) that I managed to squeeze into.  I found one other basic black tee and headed to the checkout line.  I remembered that, when I shopped at Hollister in high school, I was only able to buy things from the clearance racks because I could barely find a t shirt in that place for less than 50 bucks.  So I prepared to put back most of my purchase but when the sales person rang me up I still had 14 dollars left on the card; apparently they were having a huge sale.

 photo 65055308-9D8C-4FE0-8FE7-265948BF0B5E_zpsathd1ryv.jpg

I left feeling just like I felt for most of my high school career; confused and sorting through a slew of mixed emotions.  On the one hand I was glad to have found a few new pieces of clothing I liked without having to spend any of my own money.  On the other hand I was angry at a store for making me torture myself for an hour and making me feel like I was too old, too big, and too sloppy.  I made a resolution to only shop at places that make me feel good about myself from here on out.  I'll never shop at Hollister again.

 photo DD13F1A2-1334-447D-A25C-D473AA0DF577_zpsgt83bxbj.jpg


I take it back.  I've still got 14 bucks to blow.

Shop this look:


8 comments

  1. You look so cute! I could never afford to buy anything from Hollister in high school. I only ever remember walking in and wanting to pass out from the over use of perfume. I like your resolution to only shop a places that make you feel good about yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, yes!! I had to walk out a couple times because I felt like I was getting lightheaded. And it's crazy to me that a place can charge SO MUCH MONEY for clothing that disintegrates the moment you break a sweat... haha.

      Delete
  2. I hate stores like that!! And I totally hear you on this because I have had $20 left on a gift card for two years now (which I thought was bad until I read about yours!) and no matter how many times I go into the store to finally try to find SOMETHING, I never can, but I'm too cheap to throw the card away so I will continue to torture myself until I find something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, me too! I thought about throwing the card away anyway because, to be honest, I don't like a lot of what Hollister stands for. But I figured they had already received the money and my cheap side won out over my protester side.

      Delete
  3. i feel completely the same way about that store. i think their sizing chart starts at infant and ends at prepubescent. ridiculous. you look great! maybe 14 bucks could buy you a cool puka shell necklace. i'm sure they sell those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha oh man, I think I wore enought puka shells in high school to last my whole lifetime. I think 14 bucks could maaaayyybe get me a single pair of underwear there.

      Delete
  4. bahah! I totally remember all that! now i can barely walk past the store without a headache beginning because that perfume is on constant spray mode! and yes, i now have boobs and doubt i would ever find anything there anymore! lol. but I did LOVE it in high school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bahaha yes! Aaaand last I checked my legs weren't five feet long. I got the "short" sized jeans and I still had to hem them four inches!!

      Delete