Clean Eating Cleanse- Recap

Tuesday, February 4, 2014


At the beginning of January Ty and I decided we were going to partake in a two week "cleanse" (it sounds better than "diet") during which we wouldn't eat any gluten, dairy, soy, or added sugars.  It sounds pretty simple and is certainly a lot less restrictive than other diets out there but, as I mentioned, I am severely lacking in discipline; especially when it comes to food.  I was sincerely doubting that I would make it through the two weeks without cheating.

Well, I'm here to tell you that we did it!  We only cheated once and it was totally by accident (we didn't realize something had soy in it... oops) And I can honestly say that once it was all said and done we both felt amazing.


It was definitely challenging at times, but not for the reasons I was expecting.  During a typical week I practically live off bread and cheese so I thought going without those two things would be torture.  But honestly the hardest part was the sugar.  Both of us felt actual, physical withdrawals from the sugar.  And no wonder... prior to doing this cleanse we hadn't ever noticed how much sugar is in every. single. thing.  It definitely made going to the grocery store quite frustrating when we couldn't buy simple things because they had added sugar (turkey meat?? vegetable broth?? seriously?!?) but it forced us to get creative and to make things from scratch.  Now that I've made my own vegetable broth I'll never buy the boxed stuff again!

Despite it being a bit challenging we both felt that is was so, so worth it (unlike the last cleanse we tried.) We felt full longer.  We had more energy.  Our moods improved.  We felt less bloated.  We don't own a scale but I think we both lost a bit of weight.  And, true to what Shauna Niequist described, our appetites were totally realigned.  I thought that after those two weeks I would be dying for a brownie.  But by that point I had almost stopped craving sweets entirely.  I tried to eat a candy bar but couldn't finish it because it was just way too sweet.  I don't think that's a sentence that would have EVER come out of my mouth prior to this cleanse.

So we made a decision that we are going to continue to mostly follow this way of eating during the week.  If a special occasion comes up we will certainly allow for flexibility, but now that we've experienced how good it can feel when your body is free from processed food & added sugar we are in no way tempted to revert back to our old ways!

If you're looking to start adding more clean foods into your diet check out my recipe pinboard here!

13 comments

  1. that's so awesome that you had such great results!!! my husband & i are currently doing whole 30 - which is very similar to your cleanse - no gluten, dairy, soy, added sugar, starch, etc. we are on our second week and feel exactly as you have described!!! so crazy how food can affect mood!! i'm hoping that after our 30 days my husband's sweet tooth will be gone (maybe not completely!) but right now he's begging for that brownie!!

    it just feels so refreshing to eat healthy consistently!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly, Robyn! It pretty much took the whole two weeks for my sweet tooth to wane a bit, though I don't think it will ever go away fully :)

      Delete
  2. It's true, you don't realize it, but sugar is in a ton of stuff! My husband and I did three weeks with no sugar last year--and I felt great by the end of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome! And honestly, vegetable broth (and so many other things) really, truly don't need it.

      Delete
  3. I want to try this so bad! But I live with my parents and my mom has a mind of her own when it comes to eating healthy... Definitely will have to start with what I drink and go from there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that would certainly make it harder! Cutting out soda was a big one for me (I love me some diet coke) but I started drinking all natural fruit juices with sparkling water and that was a good substitute :)

      Delete
  4. Glad to know it went well! I've been wanting to do something like this for a while, but I haven't gotten around to getting a juicer. Haha.

    Sarah
    aroseinthecity0.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, in the spirit of full disclosure that top picture is actually a stock photo- not one that I took! It seemed appropriate for the post. I don't have a juicer either but after doing this cleanse I totally want to invest in one!

      Delete
  5. Wow, great job! I know Daniel and I need to rethink our diet soon, and I was thinking about Whole 30. I'm skeptical about whether I will ever NOT crave sweets, but I sure hope that works. I'm mostly worried about not having enough time to prepare meals. Did you find that it was time consuming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I've heard amazing things about Whole 30- now that I know I can make it two weeks I just might try something for a longer period of time. I didn't find that preparing the meals took any more time than usual, but it did require a bit more planning ahead. When I start to get hungry (read: hangry) I lose any semblance of patience and just want takeout immediately. With this cleanse I had to be really diligent about planning the meals & buying groceries ahead of time so I didn't quit in a moment of hungry desperation!

      Delete
    2. Jenny,
      we did the whole30 and used our crockpot a lot (so it cooked overnight or while i was at work) and some of the others we did were really simple (throw it all in the oven). also, i started eating a bowl of apples only apple sauce with cinnamon on top at that became my dessert. i still crave it now! you can also bake apples which brings out the sweetness, bake coconut to munch, or just fill a bowl with fruit!

      I think you can do it! we NEEDED it in our relationship and a year later we are much healthier.

      Delete
  6. we did the whole30 cleanse and we made it through AND enjoyed it! we still don't do dairy anymore because of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an AMAZING accomplishment! Congratulations!!

      Delete