Blogger Confessions

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A couple of weeks ago I was tagged by Shayla from Moons & Junes to do a little "Blogger Confession" post.  It's been fun reading other peoples' answers and learning about how everyone else came to the crazy point of wanting to put their lives out there on the internet for anyone to read.  It's kind of a wacko thing, isn't it?  But I love it. I really, really do!  Here are some reasons why...

This picture has nothing to do with blogging.  I like it anyway.

1. When did you first start blogging and why?
Like Shayla, I guess I technically started blogging when I started a LiveJournal back in high school (don't you dare go looking for it!)  I can not fathom why I wanted to immortalize my embarrassing teenage melodrama on the internet for all of eternity, but whatever. I did. I started a more "grownup" blog in Chicago to document my time there (and apparently to talk about Star Wars & the Bible) and then started this blog right after we got married in order to keep in touch with our friends & family who are scattered all throughout the country.  And I'd be lying if I pretended like my attention-hungry side wasn't in on the decision, too.

2. Have you had any past online presence?
Myspace.  Yikes.

3. When did you become serious about your blog?
Am I serious about it? I guess I never really thought I would ever be serious about it but I suppose the fact that I get up early so that I can write means I'm at least semi-serious.  So I dunno... within the past six months, I reckon.

4. What was your first blog post?
My first post for this blog was called Dogs & Blogs.  My only thought is... I can't believe I used the phrase "carve out our own little corner of the blogosphere." Barf!

5. What have been your biggest challenges blogging?

Finding my voice.  I'm still working on it.  It feels a little bit like when you are texting someone you have a crush on and you obsess over what you are going to write because you know what you are trying to convey but you don't know how that person is going to read into the things you say.  Do I end that sentence with a period or exclamation point? A smiley face? A winky face? (hint- NEVER end a text with a winky face). And don't even get me started on the perils of trying to convey sarcasm in writing.  It's a process, and I'm learning that the only way to get better is through practice.

6. What is the most rewarding thing about blogging?
Finding people who have similar passions, struggles, and joys.  There is definitely a community aspect to blogging and I sincerely cherish the friendships I've gained through this process.

7. What is the most discouraging thing about blogging?
On the flip side of #6 is the fact that there are a lot of mean people on the internet... people who want power or who want to be really judge-y toward others or who want to tear others down.  I am really afraid of the meanies because criticism is quite hard for me to swallow.

8. What is your blogging dirty little secret?
I proofread obsessively.  Once in draft mode, once in preview mode, and twice after publishing.  Yet somehow I STILL make typos & grammatical errors! Yeesh.

9. What is your current goal as a blogger?

Gee, I guess I've never thought of it.  I suppose it would be to have a more consistent posting schedule and to be more creative and thoughtful with my posts.

10. Have you learned or become passionate about anything through blogging that caught you by surprise?
Actually, I'm surprised at how much I am enjoying learning about photography.  Ty got a nice DSLR for graduation and it had mostly been collecting dust until I started blogging.  He started teaching me all the photography basics and we have both had a lot of fun playing around with it and learning more about what works and what doesn't work.

So there you have it!  Now it's your turn.  I tag Jenny, Carolina, Chantel, and anyone else who wants to join in.  Leave me a link below if you post one- I'd love to read your answers!

8 comments

  1. It is so interesting to hear how we all got our little start in this online world. I am glad though that I was just a tad too young and missed out on the whole MySpace thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha be thankful that you did!! It was a hot mess.

      Delete
  2. Loved reading your blogger confessions! I wish I was better at proof reading. I proof read tons of tons and it never fails... there are still typos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've always been a bit of a grammar nerd so it helps that I enjoy it :P

      Delete
  3. Of course, I had to go read what "Dogs & Blogs" is about - I started seriously blogging after Daniel and I got married, too. When was your wedding day? And, I'm still waiting on the dog! Thanks for tagging me - can't wait to participate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours was July 21 :) Can't wait to read yours!!

      Delete
  4. I do the same thing with proofreading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so embarrassed when I make an error; the other day I noticed I used the wrong "to" in a tweet and was MORTIFIED!!

      Delete