Weekend Edition- The Watts Towers

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Los Angeles Watts Towers

This month Ty and I are on a very tight budget so as the weekend drew near we tried to think of a few fun & free things we could do around the city.  We decided to visit the Watts Towers and I'm oh-so glad we did.  They are an amazing historic landmark nestled right within our own city and I really can't believe it took me this long to go see them.


The towers were built by Simon Rodia over a span of 33 years and were completed in 1954.  They are decorated entirely with materials that Rodia found: sea shells, glass bottles, plates, and bits of pottery.


In 1959 the City of Los Angeles wanted to demolish the towers because they were deemed "unsafe" in the event of an earthquake.  A group of activists banded together to form a test that would establish the structural soundness of the towers.  They attached a cable to the tip of each tower and used a crane to exert force.  The towers were so strong that they caused the crane to experience mechanical failure.


I think these towers are aesthetically quite beautiful but I also admire what they stand for; creativity, pride in your community, and making something beautiful out of that which others have discarded.


We had a great time lolling around the property and taking pictures.  It was the perfect way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

]












Thanks for reading!

16 comments

  1. Your photos are absolutely beautiful, Amanda! I wish I was still in the area so I could go see these towers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathryn! It was a really fun site to photograph :)

      Delete
  2. these are amazing! I love creativity and wonder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! I do too... especially when it's essentially right in your backyard!

      Delete
  3. I love the little details! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really is such a beautiful display, and I think the fact that it's just smack dab in the middle of a semi-rough are of town makes it that much better.

      Delete
  4. This is so awesome! I definitely need to go some day. Your photography is beautiful by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm learning little by little. And I definitely recommend it next time you're in LA! Free entertainment is the best, right? :)

      Delete
  5. How fun! I know right where those are, you're a LA local like me! Hi new friend! Found you on Jack of All Trades Link up! Lovely blog you have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is brilliant, in London theres so little room things like this tend to get demolished and replaced pretty quickly. I am coming to LA for the first time in January and will deffo add this to my list of places to go, im now gonna do some blog stalking for other places you've blogged about ;)
    Esther xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how exciting! And I just adore London- it's one of my favorite cities! I hope you have a blast in LA and if you have any questions or want any recommendations shoot me an email!

      Delete
  7. Those towers are really pretty! Glad you had a fun time playing tourist in your own area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too- it's definitely something I need to take advantage of more often!

      Delete
  8. I've never heard of these towers before! And I love the idea of being a tourist in your own area, that's kind of my plan for the summer since we are saving up to go to South Africa we'll just being doing as much cheap or free stuff around here that we can find.
    Oh and P.S. you are just gorgeous my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet :) And I can't wait to see your lovely pictures when you play tourist!

      Delete