The House on the Hill

Friday, January 24, 2014



I haven't talked about this much on here, but Ty and I have a pretty unique living situation.  For the past year and a half (and for me during my last couple of years in college) we have been living in a house that once belonged to my grandmother.  It's a lovely little house that is nestled in the hills of Los Angeles but that was abandoned for many years.  We cleaned it off, fixed it up, and spent many hours pouring work into this little house in order to make it feel like home.  My grandmother passed away about two years ago and after a long & ugly legal battle the time is drawing near when we will have to move out of our house on the hill.


It's bittersweet, to be sure.  On the one hand, we are sad to leave the place we've come to love so much.  It has been a safe haven for us in the midst of hard times.  It has also been a place that we have been able to invite others over to celebrate and laugh and form great fellowship.  But on the other hand we are excited to move somewhere that will be a bit more stable.  I've been a wanderlust for most of my life but right now I feel so anxious to put down roots.  I know buying a house is a huge undertaking but it's a goal we are both shooting for right now.  I feel a bit stuck in that area of limbo between hope and certainty. Between wanting and dreaming and imagining but also rationalizing and reasoning and reality-checking. 

We are in the midst of a time of unknown right now.  And that's okay. For the first time in awhile we don't know what's going to happen next, but I feel a sense of peace despite the uncharted waters that are ahead.  We know Who goes before us, and that's all that really matters.

Have you been there? How do you manage to find balance? Also, if you have any first-time home buying experiences I'd love to hear about them!

10 comments

  1. what a lovely little home! excited for the next steps of your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a gorgeous view! Looks like we will be following you in several months, so I can't offer you any advice. But thanks for the reminder that we know Who goes before us - and He is so very trustworthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I'd love to hear more about your process, too!

      Delete
  3. oh how beautiful! i have never owned a home, but i wish you the best in your search. stay positive and have fun on this new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful little place you live at! Not knowing where you'll end up can make one's stomach do somersaults, so what a blessing that you do have so much peace amid all this upcoming change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren! There are definitely times when those stomach somersaults show up but I've been trying very hard to remember how faithfully God has provided for us in the past.

      Delete
  5. We have never gone through the house buying process, but I will be thinking and praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete