Staying Healthy Through The Season- Part 4

Tuesday, January 28, 2014


Happy Tuesday, friends! Did you have a nice weekend?  We finished up our two week cleanse (which I will have a review on later this week) and indulged ourselves wholeheartedly. Homemade french bread? Um, yes please.  But more on that later.

This week I'm talking about another great, all-natural way to fight off illness this season.  I don't know about you but it seems like everyone around me is sick this week.  I have managed to avoid any would-be sick days and, in addition to the previous things in this series, I attribute that fact to an old friend called oregano oil.


Let me tell you a little bit about how I came to be introduced to oregano oil.  Rewind  6 years: I was a freshman in college, I'd just been broken up with, and spring break was two days away.  I was dreading spending a week in my hometown so when a random acquaintance asked if I wanted to go on a camping roadtrip up to his hometown with a group of people I jumped at the opportunity.  I showed up to the parking lot bright and early with my sleeping bag in hand to meet up with the "group"... which turned out to be the aforementioned random acquaintance and his random friend.  Me. Two dudes. Road trip. Sounds legit.  Had I not been in such a volatile place of post-breakup desperation I might have stopped to think about the fact that this is precisely how most horror stories start.  But I'm really glad I didn't because that turned out to be one of the best weeks of my freshman year.  And that random acquaintance turned into one of my closest college friends.

Spring Break, 2008, lost in the woods.

Did I mention his name was Phoenix? True story.


So oregano oil-  I'm getting there.  I had a minor cough at the beginning of the road trip which, after a few nights of sleeping on the cold hard ground, turned into a full blown hackfest.  Phoenix explained to me that his dad was a chiropractor and his mom was a witch doctor (this was a joke; please don't burn me at the stake) so between the two of them I could get fixed right up.  We arrived at their Santa Rosa cottage and as soon as his mom heard me cough she busted out the oregano oil.  She instructed me to take four drops straight.  Wowza!  It burned like heck (for the record, I don't recommend taking it straight) but the next day I was feeling improved.  I took it every day I was there and when we left on the third day I was feeling back to full health. Witch doctor, indeed.

I've since used oregano oil any time I'm going to be around large crowds or sick people.  It's a natural antibiotic & immune system booster.  It has been credited in treating bronchitis, diarrhea, and rheumatism.

If you're interested in trying out oregano oil, look for one that contains at least 80% carvacrol.  Dilute four drops into a glass of water and drink once a day.  Children are not advise to ingest oregano oil directly; instead it can be rubbed onto the soles of the feet to be absorbed into the skin.  I've never tried that method, but you can read more about it here.

As always, check with your doctor before making any major changes to your health routine.

Check out the rest of the series here:

4 comments

  1. i'm finally getting over a head cold from over a week ago. this is a great remedy it sounds like. next time i'll be prepared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better!

      Delete
  2. Ohhh my goodness I think I'm going to order some right now. I have been fighting this silly cold for weeks now and tea and vitamin c and everything else I'm trying isn't working!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it. There are some pretty pricey ones on the market but I found this one at whole foods for about 15 bucks and it has worked wonders. I hope you feel better soon!

      Delete