Staying Healthy Through the Season- Part 1

Sunday, January 5, 2014


I spent much of my childhood sick. Growing up I was constantly missing school due to some cold or cough or tonsillitis or something of the sort. Once I got into high school I got bronchitis every year, without fail. I assumed I just had a weak immune system and was doomed to be a sick little thing my whole life. Then I moved to Chicago. I assumed the terrible cold and wind would further weaken my immune system and that I would get sick even more often.  But something awesome happened during my year there- I didn't get sick once.  I was shocked when, during the height of cold and flu season, I was one of the few people in my office who didn't get sick. I attribute this to just a few simple lifestyle changes I made. Since then I've learned a few more tips for staying healthy (naturally!) even in the thick of winter.  I figured I'd do a little series here to share the things I've learned.

Please keep in mind that I am NOT a doctor and I have NO medical training whatsoever. The tips you will find in this series are all natural, but I feel the need to add that I am, in fact, a supporter of Western medicine and I believe you should always check with your doctor before making any big changes to your diet/ supplement intake/ health routine, etc. 

Okay, now that that's out of the way... I have a feeling this first one is going to make you roll your eyes and make half of you close your browser but hear me out.

Photo Credit
My number one tip to fighting off illness is to drink water, and lots of it.  I know you've heard this before. I know it's not news to you.  But how many of you can actually honestly say that you drink 2 liters (more if you're also consuming alcohol and/ or coffee) a day?  I always assumed I was decently hydrated but when I started working in Chicago I all of a sudden had a water dispenser close by.  I always had a glass of water by my side and this is the biggest factor to which I attribute my health that year. I was less sleepy and more alert throughout the day.  I never realized how frequently I was dehydrated until I began to feel what adequate hydration felt like. Simply staying hydrated made all the difference! So find some way to make sure you are getting enough water, and don't do it by just drinking some whenever you feel thirsty. Keep track. Wear rubber bands on your wrist. Keep a tally on your phone.  Do whatever you have to do to get two liters a day.  I promise you'll notice a huge difference!

What are some natural ways that you stay healthy? I'd love to hear!

2 comments

  1. I notice that I will drink more out of my water bottle when it is clear, and I can see how much is left. It also helps if it has the oz measured on the side. Most Nalgenes do, and many other bottles are coming out like this too. I also try to fill it up 3-4 times during the work day so I usually keep a tally of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh that's a good idea! Thanks for the tip!

      Delete