Roasted Vegetable Salad with Beets & Goat Cheese

Tuesday, December 17, 2013


Have you heard of Farm boxes?  Basically they are boxes from local farms that are filled with whatever produce is in season.  You pay a flat fee and pick them up without knowing what's in them.  Last Sunday we bought our first ever CSA farm box from South Central Farmers and I couldn't wait to get home and see what we'd gotten.  I've heard horror stories of people getting entire boxes filled with what looked like weeds, but I'd also heard of people getting boxes with cool vegetables that they never knew existed. We got a pretty good variety of things and there was one vegetable that immediately stood out to me- the beets.


I've never cooked with beets before and aside from borscht I had no clue what I could even make with them (with only 2 of them, to be exact.)  It was a fun challenge! This little roasted vegetable salad came out surprisingly well, though I would definitely recommend having it as a side dish (rather than a main dish, like we did) because it's pretty sweet.

Roasted Vegetable Salad with Beets & Goat Cheese
Serves 2

Ingredients

  • 2 Beets with their greens
  • 4 large carrots (as you can see, the carrots we used were pretty tiny)
  • 1 1/2 Cups cubed uncooked butternut squash
  • 5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
  • 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp herb goat cheese
  • salt & pepper

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Remove beet greens from stems & set aside.  Discard beet stems.  Roughly chop washed beets and carrots (no need to peel) into bite sized pieces and toss them, along with the butternut squash, with 2 Tbsp olive oil in a roasting pan.  Roast for 25 minutes or until carrots are fork tender.
  2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a saute pan.  Saute beet greens until they are wilted.
  3. For the dressing, whisk together 2 Tbsp olive oil, 1 1/2 Tbsp herb goat cheese, 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, salt & pepper.
  4. Add roasted vegetables to the saute pan and mix until evenly distributed.  Toss with dressing and serve with goat cheese sprinkled on top.

4 comments

  1. I saw you post a photo of this box on instagram (as I was creeping yesterday)! So lovely. I just love farm fresh veggies!
    Your salad looks lovely! I've only ever had beets pickled before. I'd be so interested in trying this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, farm fresh is always the best! Let me know if you try it, I'd be interested to see how you like it!

      Delete
  2. this looks DELICIOUS. i am a huge goat cheese fan. will be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Lacey! And me too... I could seriously put goat cheese on just about anything.

      Delete