Crockpot Guinness Beef Stew

Thursday, December 12, 2013


I'm currently in the thick of finals and, as anyone who's ever lived with me can attest to, I have a tendency to stress-cook.  Cooking is extremely cathartic for me so the times when I'm the most stressed are also the times when home-cooked meals are the most abundant.  It may not be as beneficial as, say, stress-running or stress-cleaning, but I'm okay with that.

This Guinness Beef Stew is the epitome of cold weather comfort food.  The best part is that it cooks in the slow cooker so my need to stress-cook and my obligation to my studies are able to live in harmony.



Crockpot Guinness Beef Stew
Adapted from Simply Recipes
Serves 6

Ingredients

  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 2 Lbs chuck beef roast, cut into 2 inch cubes
  • 2 medium yellow onions
  • 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
  • 2 Tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 Pint Guinness Stout
  • 3 Cups beef broth
  • 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 3 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 1 Lb turnips, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 3 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 tsp dried parsley
  • salt & pepper


Instructions:
1.  Season beef with salt and pepper.  Melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Brown the pieces of beef on all sides. Don't cook them all the way through- we're just trying to get a little color on them here.  Transfer to crockpot (but don't pour in the butter just yet!)

2. Add onions and celery to the saute pan and cook until onions are translucent.  Add tomato paste and cook until veggies are well coated.  Add the Guinness to the pan and use a wooden spoon to deglaze the bottom of the pan.

3. Transfer contents of saute pan and the remaining ingredients to the crockpot.  Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.

4. This goes without saying, but this dish is best served with a Guinness.

What is your favorite chilly-weather comfort food?

4 comments

  1. This looks AMAZING!!!!!!!!! I cannot wait to try.

    XOXO & now following
    mariahlauren.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Steph! They're all done now so I can breathe a sigh of relief :)

      Delete