Dried Cherry Almond Cookies

Thursday, November 21, 2013


A couple of weekends ago we got started on our Christmas gifts for our friends and family (more on that later) and we had some dried cherries left over.  Cherries are a rare sighting in our house so I immediately started brainstorming things I could put them in- Salad? Quinoa? Cookies? I think we all can see the obvious choice here.

Now that our oven is fixed and the weather has cooled down all I want to do is bake.  I modified this recipe from Giada and these cookies went so fast that I didn't even have time to snap a picture of them... that's okay though because, to be completely honest, mine were kinda ugly.  (Photo above from Food Network.)

My favorite thing about these cookies is that they aren't super sweet so I feel totally justified in eating them for breakfast.  Hm. Breakfast cookies..... I like it.




Dried Cherry Almond Cookies
Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis
Makes 2 Dozen

Ingredients:
  • 1 Stick butter, softened
  • 1/2 Cup + 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/4 Cups all purpose flour
  • 1 Cup coarsely chopped dried cherries

For the icing:
  • 1 1/2 Cups powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2-3 Tbsp milk

  1. In the bowl of an electric mixer beat together butter, sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, cinnamon, and salt on low for 2 minutes.  Beat in egg until just combined.
  2. Using a wooden spoon, add in flour and cherries.  Mix until no white streaks remain.
  3. On a sheet of plastic wrap, arrange the dough into the shape of a log about 1 foot long and 1.5 inches across.  Roll up in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
     
  4. Cut log into 24 equal pieces.  Bake on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper at 350 degrees for 15 minutes in 2 batches of 12 cookies each. 
     
  5. For the icing, combine vanilla and milk and gradually pour mixture in with the sugar until it is about the consistency of pancake syrup (the fake kind, not the real maple syrup!)
     
  6. Place cookies on a sheet of parchment paper and drizzle icing over them.  Allow icing to set for 1 hour (if you can wait that long.)

2 comments

  1. these have my husbands name written ALL over them! and of course, I'd need to be there for quality control. ;)

    i love your blog, Amanda! Thanks, again for stopping by the other day to say 'hi'! I'm so happy that comment lead me here.

    ReplyDelete