Creamy Butternut Squash Soup

Monday, November 18, 2013


I recently took a trip to the South Pasadena Farmer's Market to buy produce and let me tell you- I am officially hooked on farm fresh vegetables.



I don't know why it took me so long to come around; maybe because it requires planning ahead? Most of the Farmer's Markets around us happen on Sunday mornings which, up until now, I have often spent working.  The one in South Pasadena happens on Thursday afternoons so it is super easy for me to just take the train over after class if Ty has the car.  And, it could be all in my mind, but I swear these vegetables were more colorful and more flavorful than the ones I buy at the grocery store.  It also just feels good to know that you are supporting a local, family-owned farm.



Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
Adapted from Paula Deen
Serves 4

Ingredients:

  • 2 lbs cubed butternut squash (This is an excellent video on how to dice a squash)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1/4 Cup cream
  • 4-5 Cups chicken broth
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • Salt, to taste


Instructions:

1. In a medium saucepan combine Squash, onion, carrots, and chicken broth.  Allow to simmer uncovered about 40 minutes, or until carrots are tender.

2. Blend in a blender or food processor in batches, leaving the lid slightly ajar so as to allow steam to escape.

3. Whisk in cream, nutmeg, and salt to taste.  If the consistency is too thick for your liking add in a bit more chicken broth.  I recommend serving with warm French bread.

**Linking up at Kitchinspiration with Chelsea and Stephanie**

1 comment

  1. This looks perfect for the weather! Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete