Combating Worry

Tuesday, November 12, 2013


Anyone who knows me well knows that I am a chronic worrier.  I have been since I was a kid.  I remember as a little girl I would get so worried when my dad left for work in the morning that he was going to get into a car accident.  While I won’t go into reasoning behind my worry I know that I am not alone.  The more I bring my own worries out into the open the more I begin to hear similar stories from others.  Whether it is about finances, about health, or about losing a loved one the thread of worry is more common than I ever realized.

Worry can stem from many different things and often looks different for everyone.  There isn't one singular cure-all for it, though I’ve heard many suggestions:
“Just read the bible! ”
“Just practice gratitude!”
or my personal favorite,
“Just stop worrying!”

While all of those are good suggestions (okay maybe not the last one) what works for one person may not work for another because worry can be a result of a plethora of other issues.  Often it is a symptom of a much larger issue, and the resolution of those issues looks different for everyone.

One tactic that has been helpful for me in keeping my worry under control is reviewing past worrisome situations and thinking about how God has helped me through them.  I’ve seen this most tangibly in the case of finances.  There have been more than a few times in the past year that Tyler and I have found ourselves in a tough spot financially and then God provides for us in some totally off the wall way.  Just this morning I was talking about how worried I was about paying for Tyler’s classes (we were recently hit with a huge lump sum that we were unaware we needed to pay) and trying to figure out how in the world we were going to come up with the money.  Then, in the middle of class this afternoon, I received an email informing me that I was going to be receiving a (very generous) monetary thank-you gift for referring a client to my former workplace.  The timing could not have been more perfect.  It’s situations like this that remind me that ultimately my future and livelihood are in God’s hands, and thinking over them helps lessen my tendency to worry over the details.

What are some ways that you combat worrying? 

2 comments

  1. We need to meet in real life lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and your husband should take a trip out to California! :)

      Delete