(in)Justice

Monday, September 16, 2013



All of us at one point or another have been victims of injustice.  Likewise, all of us have in our lives been unjust to someone else.  Often these injustices are minor, and in the best of circumstances apologies are exchanged and forgiveness is bestowed.

There are times, though, when the unjust one is not apologetic and seemingly no justice is served.  We see it often in the news, in court cases, and occasionally in our own spheres.

I'd like to believe that I am someone who fights for justice.  I am not easily angered but when I am it is most often due to the oppression of an individual or group.  But I confess that as a third party onlooker, despite getting fired up, I can also let go of these injustices pretty easily if they are left unsolved.  At the end of the day, laundry needs to be done and the cries of the mistreated are all too easy to leave at the computer screen.

Recently, however, I myself have become a victim of injustice.  Though not as severe as the injustice we read about in the headlines, it is certainly far more serious than a quibble between friends.  It involves lawyers and documents and money and a great deal of physical & psychological harm to someone I loved dearly.  It's grown-up stuff that I never thought I'd have to deal with.  And, unfortunately, it has become quite clear that justice will not be served.  The bad guy will win.  I can't help but weep at the fact that someone who deserves so much punishment will walk away with reward.

It's not fair.

{The voices of all the parents in the world respond in my head: "Life's not fair."}

And it's true.

It's times like this that I have to remember that my hope lies not in the juries of this world, but in the hands of an eternally Loving and markedly Just God. When the forces of injustice wreak havoc in our world we must remember that God is with us and it is He who has the last word.  Though I am called to "to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free..." it is not my job to seek revenge.  It is my job to forgive even those who seem unforgivable.  It is my job to make my own heart right with God. And it's my job to live in a way that looks ahead to the day in which we live in a "new heaven and a new earth in which righteousness dwells"

Image credit

No comments

Post a Comment