Vessel

Tuesday, August 6, 2013


Yesterday my best friend gave birth to her first child.

As I watched her in the labor room and heard hourly updates on what was going on inside of her I couldn't help but be completely awestruck.

You guys... women's bodies are amazing. 

I can not even believe the things that our bodies are able to do.  (Even women who can not/ choose not to have children.)  I know it may sound silly... I obviously knew how babies are born but being there and hearing about how her body just knew exactly what to do and when to do it left me speechless.  It also left me feeling so much guilt over all the time I have spent hating my own body.

I recently read this article and, though it was extreme, it really hit a nerve in me.  In it the author reviews the book The Beauty Myth and one of the thoughts expressed in the book is that the media actually wants to keep women hating their bodies.  Here is a passage:

"Somehow, somewhere, someone must have figured out that [women] will buy more things if they are kept in the self-hating, ever-failing, hungry, and sexually insecure state of being aspiring "beauties." ... The Beauty Myth, in its modern form, arose to take the place of the Feminine Mystique, to save magazines and advertisers from the economic fallout of the women's revolution."

At first it sounded like a conspiracy theory to me.  But the more I thought about it the more it made sense.  The more we hate ourselves, the more we will feel the need to change.  The more we feel the need to change, the more stuff we will buy that promises us we will feel better about ourselves.  

I know not all media is evil.  In fact I came across this video earlier in the week which is an amazing example of a media campaign that fights for women.  But I also know that I need to be discerning.  I need to know that many of the things I watch or read were not created in my best interest.

I'm still processing all of this and still thinking through yesterday's events.  But to any woman who is reading this: whether you are tall, short, small, large, young, old, barren, healthy, ill, happy, discontent, fit, or out of shape.... I hope you know what a beautiful, marvelous awe-inspiring creation you are.

*Image by Kelly Hicks Design

This post is part of the Love Yourself Linkup


4 comments

  1. love this. and i so believe that quote! mostly because they also believe they need things to be better. it is a lie all of humanity believes. it isn't until we trust that our creator made us beautiful that we can live in that beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, it's so true! And I read your post from the linkup too and I wholeheartedly agree that it's not just the media but also The enemy that wants to keep us from loving ourselves.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for linking up to my blog and sharing your thoughts on the Beauty Myth. I totally get the 'conspiracy theory feeling' - but I've really never felt so FREE as I have since reading Naomi Wolf's book! Free to be myself and claim my inalienable right to be and feel beautiful, just the way I am.

    Gorgeous picture by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Becca! Honestly your post changed my worldview and I'm so inspired to read the book now. I can't imagine how different the world would look if all women were assured in their beauty and worth and that is something I want to continuously strive for. I've loved perusing your blog and reading your thoughts on these issues. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete