A Haven in a Heartless World

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Image via

This past weekend we went to see the Festival of Arts with my grandparents in Laguna Beach.  All of the art was beautiful, but this oil painting really struck a chord with me.  It is called "The Girl Who Married A Cloud."  Artist Paul Bond painted it after he spent some time in Indonesia. One day he saw a beautiful scene of tied up canoes set against the backdrop of moving clouds.  The dichotomy reminded him of marriage.  Often times, especially in today's society, marriage is portrayed as limiting, suffocating, and restrictive.  While it's true that marriage does limit us, it's within those limits that we are absolutely free to be ourselves.  

Uninhibited. 

Unadulterated.

Freedom.

It is within those confines of unconditional love that we are given the liberty to fully be who we are, and to allow another person to do the same.

Perhaps that's why Christopher Lasch calls marriage a "haven in a heartless world."



p.s. You should most definitely check out Paul Bond's work here.
p.p.s In case you were curious, the woman in the painting is his wife in her wedding dress.

*Linked up at Messy Marriage and HWC

4 comments

  1. I absolutely love that painting, Amanda! It reminds me of Andrew Wyeth's style of painting. I'll be sure to check out more at your link. And I totally agree that marriage may have limits and boundaries, but it truly does give me more freedom to be myself. I wouldn't want it any other way! Thanks so much for linking up at Wedded Wed last week too. I was volunteering at my church's version of VBS, so I didn't get around to everyone until today. I hope you'll join up this week as well! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Beth! What a fun linkup! And yes, I definitely recommend checking Paul out- he is not just an amazing artist but also such a kindhearted person!

      Delete
  2. Love that, "Haven in a Hearless world" quote. I'd never heard it before now but it describes it so well. We were supposed to go to the Festival of Arts this year and I had to leave town but hopefully we'll make it next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Fawn! The festival was awesome- this was my first year going :)

      Delete