Recap, Reflect, & Resolve

Saturday, January 26, 2013

I know this is probably a post most people did about three weeks ago, so I apologize for being late to the 2013 game.  In all honesty it has taken a lot of energy for us to reflect back on 2012.  It was a wild, difficult, satisfying, cold, hot, whiny, cheerful kind of year.  Honestly, I don't know that I've ever experienced a year with highs quite so high or lows quite so low.  Here's a recap on just a few of the things that went down last year:

January
We rang in the new year with good friends in what might as well have been Canada.  We didn't know what time zone we were in, we didn't have TV, and the mercury dipped so low that you couldn't stand to be outside for more than a couple minutes.  But despite the cold outside, the warmth of good friendship made the trip a complete and utter success.


I also made my first trip to New York where I reconnected with old friends, made new friends, and strengthened an already-established bond.





February
We lost the family that had come to be our safe haven to Rockford, Illinois.  However, we learned that distance is a small obstacle to overcome when your ties run deep, and we made new friends with Tyler's next hosts.  We continued to endure the chilly weather, but began to see a light at the end of the tunnel.  Our close friend Matt graced the city with his presence.

We mourned the loss of a loved one, and grieved alongside a dear friend.

March
We enjoyed the first hints of warmth and for the first time ever we appreciated Spring and all the newness that comes with it.  I took Tyler to the ER for vertigo symptoms and felt the first real pangs of worry and panic for the man that would be my husband.  We experienced St. Patrick's day in Chicago which I think is pretty much equivalent to Spring Break in Cabo. 





April
My sweet former-roommates, Kaylani and Hayley, visited Chicago.  I watched Star Wars for the first time.





We watched hockey.  Kira said stuff like this:


We celebrated Tyler's birthday with new friends and I baked a plastic fork prong into a cake.  It was never found.

May
We celebrated my birthday like, four times.  I felt loved and special and way spoiled.  We snuck booze into the park.




NATO happened and it was great because I felt like a part of history.  Also because I got to go to work "dressed like a protester."



I quit my job which was a little bittersweet. (but mostly sweet)



June
We packed up and left Chicago, which was extremely bittersweet.  We spent a few days in Colorado with family, got stuck on top of the rockies, and were finally greeted in Los Angeles with dawn and palm trees.





We witnessed two of our closest friends get married.

I was showered and again felt special, loved, and way spoiled.

July
We journeyed up to Sacramento. We wedding planned. And planned. And planned. And re-did grout.

We got showered and spoiled together.

We got hitched.

We went on a fabulous vacation.

August
We watched more sweet friends tie the knot.

We moved into our new home and unpacked and stressed and celebrated small victories- like my car hitting 100,000 miles.

We started new jobs and went back and forth between rejecting and welcoming the normalcy of our new life.

September
We got a cat! I posted nothing else on instagram for weeks.


I got sick and we learned what it meant to rely fully on God for support and peace.


 October
We got to watch even more friends promise their lives to each other.

We retreated to the woods, learned about how God comforts us through community, and danced like hipsters.


November
We adopted the best dog in the whole wide world


We celebrated and ate and were thankful with close friends.
We celebrated and ate and were thankful with family.


December
We were festive all month long, and I had the best holiday season I've had since I was a little kid.



We snowboarded and ate tons of food and warmed ourselves with fireplaces and close friends and family.  I still get warm in my belly thinking of what a blessed and joyous month December was.




...What a year.

This year we resolve to eat more veggies, take more pictures with Ty's fancy camera, and read more books. What are your resolutions for 2013?


No comments

Post a Comment