Thankful.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

This can be a confusing time of the year.



In all seriousness, I find myself conflicted during the holidays.  I know I should be thankful.  I want to be thankful.  Yet I'm finding myself focusing so much more on the things that I'm lacking.  Sometimes these are material things, but more frequently they are intangibles:

I wish I had more time
I wish I had more friends
I wish I were more stylish
I wish I were more creative

Ungratefulness is a snowballing habit. The more we complain, the better we become at finding things to be unhappy about. And guess what? By cultivating feelings of ungratefulness we actually make ourselves less happy! A 2010 Study in the Wall Street Journal reported that adults who feel grateful have “more energy, more optimism, more social connections and more happiness than those who do not... They’re also less likely to be depressed, envious, greedy or alcoholics.”  

We've all heard the adage that the grass is always greener on the other side.  I'm coming to realize that doesn't have to be the case- in fact, the grass is greenest where you water it.  By making a daily commitment to cultivate a disposition that defaults to thankfulness we can grow habits which will spill over into every area of our lives.  We can start with the simple act of counting our blessings.  

Look for things to be grateful for, and you will start to see them.

If we truly committed to living this way it would change everything.

Our friendships.
Our marriages.
Our jobs.
Our ministries.

I know that, like all habits, implementing this into my life will take a lot of practice.  But it's something that I want to continue even after the turkey is gone.  As my first baby step, here are ten things for which I am especially thankful today:


I am thankful for my caring, loving, patient, selfless husband
I am thankful to live so close to most of my family
I am thankful for the new family I have gained
I am thankful for pets
I am thankful for coffee
I am thankful for democracy
I am thankful for the wonderful friendships I am surrounded by
I am thankful that God made us able to enjoy eating (think about it... what if we just photosynthesized?)
I am thankful for my health
I am thankful for my eternal salvation in Christ

What are some things that you are thankful for today?

1 comment

  1. LOVE the comic!!! :)

    I'm visiting today from the Friday Chaos hop.

    ReplyDelete